Get paid, not played
Want to make sure you're paid for the work you do? Take action!
Create a custom contract to use for every gig.Create a Contract
Out the Deadbeats
Rate and check out clients in the Client Scorecard.Rate Now
Payment Protection Act
Take a Stand
Support the Freelancer Payment Protection Act and help independent workers collect what they've rightfully earned.Learn More
- Always use a contract and brush up on your negotiation skills.
- Require partial payment up front.
- Send formal invoices and late notices promptly. (Get discounted billing services from Freshbooks and Harvest.)
- Keep records of all communications and agreements.
- Send follow-up emails to confirm any verbal agreements.
- Learn the basics of customer agreements.
- Get a lawyer's advice on how to avoid collection issues through our Legal Basics for Every Freelancer seminar recording.
Dealing with deadbeats:
- Send a formal letter requesting payment.
- Consult a lawyer for advice.
- Consider small claims court, mediation, or arbitration.
- Find out if you've been misclassified and consider filing this form.
- If you are an employee, you may be able to file a wage claim through your state department of labor.
- Out the deadbeat and warn other freelancers with Client Scorecard.
- Visit Clients from Hell for comic relief.
- Get it out of your system: tell your story in The Freelance Life.