Who we are
Freelancers Union, a national non-profit organization, represents the needs and concerns of today's independent workforce through advocacy, information, and service. We offer health, life, disability, and dental insurance, as well as discounts and other resources, to freelancers, consultants, temps, part-timers, and the self-employed. We're passionate about our mission to improve working life for independent workers – a community representing 30% of the U.S. workforce – and we're the people behind all those insurance ads with the beehive that you see on the subway.
We offer an excellent benefits plan that includes health coverage, dental insurance, a 401k retirement plan, and TransitChecks. Our offices are located in Downtown Brooklyn right by the A, C, F, 4, 5, R, and N subway lines on the Jay Street MetroTech stop.
Beyond our mission, we're also passionate about and proud of the culture and work environment we've created. We believe everyone has an important contribution to make toward achieving our goals, both through collaborative teamwork and independent initiative. The atmosphere here is loose, fun, and friendly.
Benefits and Member Services Manager
Freelancers Union is a national nonprofit representing 350,000 independent workers - from graphic designers, yoga teachers, and journalists to CPAs, and dog walkers. We support our members with advocacy, education, and access to health insurance and other needed benefits. We’re seeking a full-time Benefits and Member Services Manager with a strong member-service ethic, attention to detail and the ability to quickly become an expert in our programs.
- Serve as a licensed sales representative for members seeking health insurance and other benefits
- Respond to member emails in a friendly and informative manner
- Maintain positive relationships with our insurance carrier partners
- Become an expert at trouble-shooting common challenges for members
- Actively engage freelancers as members of a labor advocacy organization
- Proactively seek new benefit offerings that serve freelancers’ needs
- Continually advance your own knowledge of our programs and services
- Work with the management team to grow annual revenue from benefits programs
- Educate freelancers about the broad range of services, products, and advocacy events we offer
- Support our monthly billing process for members enrolled in long term disability and term life insurance
- Review & process applications for new enrollment
- Develop and maintain expert understanding of eligibility rules, application processes, enrollment procedures, and details of all member benefits (including insurance products, discount offerings, and more)
- Track all communications and interaction with members in the membership database
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally in a written format
- Strong attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and a creative approach to problem solving
- High level of comfort, patience and sensitivity during interactions with people
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite with some knowledge of databases (Salesforce preferred)
- Demonstrated positive and energetic attitude
- Licensed Life, Health and Accident Agent
- College degree preferred
To apply: Please email a resume, portfolio or links to work samples, and a thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com.
Freelancers Union offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Freelancers Union is an equal opportunity employer.close
Member Organizer (freelance)
Freelancers Union is a national nonprofit representing 350,000 independent workers - from graphic designers, yoga teachers, and journalists to CPAs, and dog walkers. We support our members with advocacy, education, and access to health insurance and other needed benefits.
We're looking for a Member Organizer to grow member engagement and oversee key member-led programs, helping freelancers lead meaningful, independent lives.
- Work 30 hrs/week as Member Organizer; must be in New York City area and able to attend meetings at our offices in Brooklyn and around NYC as needed
- Oversee the growth and development of Spark, a network of local freelance communities in over 20 cities across the U.S.
- Grow membership of Freelancers Guild, a network of independent professionals serving the freelance workforce, to meet strategic goals
- Develop systems and strategies fo engage Guild Members and Spark leaders aimed at building sustainable, self-organized member communities
- Foster a culture of collaboration and innovation across member leaders to meet shared goals, providing leadership development and coaching as needed
- Develop and implement systems for tracking member engagement and managing relationships with a large database of member leaders
- Analyze and iterate engagement strategies using key performance metrics, and makes recommendations to improve performance
- Work with the Communications team to organize campaigns and creative actions to grow membership and meet strategic goals
- Ensure that we’re engaging members around Freelancers Union’s core value: New Mutualism. We’re bringing together freelancers to build common solutions.
- 3-5 years of experience in organizing, political campaigns, leadership development, or other related field
- Personable and engaging, with the ability to develop meaningful relationships with others and motivate individuals and groups of individuals
- Excellent group facilitation and public speaking skills
- Analytical and effective program manager, with the ability synthesize disparate data sources and pivot as needed
- Knowledge of best practices for web, including digital and social media tools, and online communications
- Genuine commitment to empowering the freelance workforce
- Strongly prefer candidates with experience working at social purpose, labor, political, and/or mission-driven organization
- Experience in political organizing and fundraising strategy a plus
Please email your resume, cover letter, and relevant social media links to firstname.lastname@example.org