Who we are
Freelancers Union, a national non-profit organization, represents the needs and concerns of today's independent workforce through advocacy, information, and service. We offer health, life, disability, and dental insurance, as well as discounts and other resources, to freelancers, consultants, temps, part-timers, and the self-employed. We're passionate about our mission to improve working life for independent workers – a community representing 30% of the U.S. workforce – and we're the people behind all those insurance ads with the beehive that you see on the subway.
We offer an excellent benefits plan that includes health coverage, dental insurance, a 401k retirement plan, and TransitChecks. Our offices are located in Downtown Brooklyn right by the A, C, F, 4, 5, R, and N subway lines on the Jay Street MetroTech stop.
Beyond our mission, we're also passionate about and proud of the culture and work environment we've created. We believe everyone has an important contribution to make toward achieving our goals, both through collaborative teamwork and independent initiative. The atmosphere here is loose, fun, and friendly.
Accounts Payable Specialist / Bookkeeper (part-time)
Freelancers Union is an innovative nonprofit representing over 450,000 independent workers across the United States. We support our members with advocacy, education, and services, including a national benefits platform, the landmark Freelance Isn’t Free law, and the #1 blog for freelancers in the country. Our office is in DUMBO, the first stop into Brooklyn on the A, C, or F subway lines.
We are seeking a talented Accounts Payable Specialist/Bookkeeper on a part-time basis to join our Finance team. The Accounts Payable Specialist will manage payables for both nonprofit and for-profit entities within the organization and support the CFO in coordinating some bookkeeping activities. The ideal candidate will have solid written and verbal communication skills and be able to work in a collaborative environment.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Sort, verify, and process all invoices for payment
- Reconcile vendor statements; researching and contacting appropriate parties concerning discrepancies
- Bookkeeping responsibilities include preparing bank deposits; electronically transmit deposits, reconciliation of credit card statements on a monthly basis
- Assist in creating efficiencies in the AP process where possible
- Exercise a high degree of detail orientation to maintain all AP and bookkeeping documentation
- Part-time position, approximately 12-16 hours per week with flexible hours during our regular operating hours
- 2 years experience in bookkeeping (Quickbooks experience desirable)
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, with an ability to work independently, and produce accurate work in a timely manner
- Knowledge of accounts payable best practices is desired
- Passionate about supporting a mission-driven team to improve the lives of independent workers
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Freelancers Union is an equal opportunity employer, which actively seeks to build and maintain a diverse staff with regard to race, culture, ethnicity, class, religion, physical ability, age, gender, and sexual orientation. We strongly encourage people from diverse communities and backgrounds to apply.close