Who we are
Freelancers Union, a national non-profit organization, represents the needs and concerns of today's independent workforce through advocacy, information, and service. We offer health, life, disability, and dental insurance, as well as discounts and other resources, to freelancers, consultants, temps, part-timers, and the self-employed. We're passionate about our mission to improve working life for independent workers – a community representing 30% of the U.S. workforce – and we're the people behind all those insurance ads with the beehive that you see on the subway.
We offer an excellent benefits plan that includes health coverage, dental insurance, a 401k retirement plan, and TransitChecks. Our offices are located in Downtown Brooklyn right by the A, C, F, 4, 5, R, and N subway lines on the Jay Street MetroTech stop.
Beyond our mission, we're also passionate about and proud of the culture and work environment we've created. We believe everyone has an important contribution to make toward achieving our goals, both through collaborative teamwork and independent initiative. The atmosphere here is loose, fun, and friendly.
Community and Events Coordinator
Freelancers Union is seeking a Community and Events Coordinator to help us launch and grow a new training center to provide entrepreneurial skills to creative freelancers in New York City.
Freelancers Union is a national nonprofit representing 375,000 independent workers –from graphic designers, yoga instructors, and journalists to CPAs and web developers. We support our members with advocacy, education, community, and access to insurance and other vital benefits.
We’re launching an exciting new educational program in Brooklyn and are looking for a talented Community and Events Coordinator to drive outreach and engagement. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the NYC creative community and a knack for producing highly engaging and valuable content. We’re looking for someone creative and adaptive, who can help us execute and promote educational events for freelancers as we build our center from the ground up.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Support the Program Manager in implementing program calendar and events, organizing logistics, and coordinating with experts, attendees, and partners to ensure events run smoothly
- Draft all communications and marketing for the program: web and email copy, social media, and blog posts, and produce flyers, brochures, and other print materials
- Generate and implement social campaigns and other content strategies to build engagement in the program to meet strategic growth targets
- Supervise a community/coworking space, building positive relationships with the freelancer community, identifying community leaders, and leveraging member insights to identify new content areas and strategies to improve member resources
- Analyze program and outreach metrics, reporting weekly to provide insights and measure results against strategic goals
- 3+ years experience in communications, social media, and community building
- Experience with producing events
- Passionate about working with creatives and building connections with our community
- Warm and engaging interpersonal skills; able to effectively lead meetings and represent Freelancers Union’s brand
- Creative thinker and writer, with punchy and engaging tone and affinity for the NYC creative community
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, with an eye for ensuring an excellent member experience
This is a full-time position offering competitive pay and a generous benefits package including health and 401(k) plan. The position is funded by a one-year grant, which may be renewed. To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and relevant social media links to email@example.com
Freelancer Center Program Manager
Freelancers Union is seeking a Freelancer Center Program Manager to help us launch and grow a new training center to provide entrepreneurial skills to creative freelancers in New York City.
Freelancers Union is a national nonprofit representing 375,000 independent workers–from graphic designers, yoga instructors, and journalists to CPAs and web developers. We support our members with advocacy, education, community, and access to insurance and other vital benefits.
We’re launching an exciting new educational program in Brooklyn and are looking for a talented Program Manager to oversee programming, partnerships, and outreach to build a vibrant community-driven resource for freelancers.
The ideal candidate will be well-connected within the NYC creative community and have a track record of producing outstanding educational programming and events. We’re looking for someone creative, adaptive, and fearless, who can forge new relationships and test out new strategies as we build our program from the ground up.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Build and grow a freelancer training program, develop educational programming, and direct resources to serve the needs of the NYC creative community
- Create and oversee a program calendar and curriculum, recruiting experts to teach workshops and developing curriculum as needed
- Lead an outreach strategy to engage the NYC creative community, working actively with Freelancers Union and other partners to recruit members and drive event attendance
- Build partnerships with community organizations, creative employers, and meetups/events to market events and support community programming
- Evaluate and track program performance, implementing and managing changes to ensure goals are achieved
- Supervise Community Manager, who will be responsible for implementing program marketing and coordinating events
- Manage program budget, providing quarterly reporting to grant funders in accordance with program requirements
- 5+ years experience in education/training-related program management
- Track record of growing and developing community engagement programs to support strategic goals
- Experience building and managing partnerships
- In-depth knowledge of freelancing and creative communities in New York City
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage across stakeholder teams to move projects forward
- Outstanding analytical skills, with ability to synthesize metrics and feedback to drive strategy
This is a full-time position offering competitive pay and a generous benefits package including health and 401(k) plan. The position is funded by a one-year grant, which may be renewed. To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org