Who we are
Freelancers Union, a national non-profit organization, represents the needs and concerns of today's independent workforce through advocacy, information, and service. We offer health, life, disability, and dental insurance, as well as discounts and other resources, to freelancers, consultants, temps, part-timers, and the self-employed. We're passionate about our mission to improve working life for independent workers – a community representing 30% of the U.S. workforce – and we're the people behind all those insurance ads with the beehive that you see on the subway.
We offer an excellent benefits plan that includes health coverage, dental insurance, a 401k retirement plan, and TransitChecks. Our offices are located in Downtown Brooklyn right by the A, C, F, 4, 5, R, and N subway lines on the Jay Street MetroTech stop.
Beyond our mission, we're also passionate about and proud of the culture and work environment we've created. We believe everyone has an important contribution to make toward achieving our goals, both through collaborative teamwork and independent initiative. The atmosphere here is loose, fun, and friendly.
Freelancers Union is seeking a part-time freelance Communications Associate to support member communications and community growth.
Freelancers Union is a national nonprofit representing 300,000 independent workers - from graphic designers, yoga teachers, and journalists to CPAs, and dog walkers. We support our members with advocacy, education, and access to health insurance and other needed benefits.
We’re looking for a freelance Communications Associate who understands our mission and our members to support the Communications team in delivering effective member communications and excellent community content.
Job responsibilities include managing the member communications schedule, copy editing key business communications, copy editing blog content, sourcing and scheduling social media content, and reporting on key growth and engagement metrics.
The Communications Associate should be well organized, extremely detail oriented, and able to translate the mission and values of Freelancers Union into effective member communications.
- Work 30 hrs/week as Communications Associate, with 5-7 hours availability each weekday (telecommute is ok)
- Draft and edit member emails, web copy, and other communications
- Schedule daily content across all FU channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+)
- Moderate comments and respond to member questions across platforms
- Work with team to manage development of social graphics and other assets
- Copy edit blog posts
- Participate in weekly meetings with supervisors to discuss progress and plan activities
- Report weekly to leadership to measure results against strategic goals
- 3+ years experience in communications digital marketing
- Excellent written communications skills, with excellent copy editing / proofreading skills
- Creative thinker and writer, with punchy and engaging tone
- Strong project management skills and ability to move forward projects independently
- Ability to analyze feedback to illustrate trends, and push forward communications strategy
- Background in labor, movement politics, or other mission-driven organization strongly preferred
Member Services Specialist
- Interact with customers through a number of channels, including online chat, phone, and email, in a positive and professional manner, to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services,
- Research member billing and claims issues
- Serve as primary contact and advocate for members in all matters relating to their coverage
- Proactively anticipate and prevent potential issues/problems through the use of operational controls, reporting and quality assurance tools
- Respond to problems, regardless of source, in a manner that emphasizes urgency, customer service and a focus on continuous process improvement
- Create dashboards or similar reporting methods that ensure the right performance information and metrics are getting distributed to the organization that is clear, concise and timely
- Develop into a SME (Subject Matter Expert) on industry issues and opportunities- especially in the areas covered by outsourced vendors
Billing & Enrollment Support
- Oversee monthly billing process for members enrolled in life and disability products, including generation of invoices and collection of premiums in partnership with the Finance Department.
- Reconcile eligibility discrepancies, analyzing transactional data & submitting retroactive eligibility changes
- Ensure accurate enrollment data reflected across multiple systems
- Prepare, process and maintain new member and group enrollments, including scrubbing applications and collecting documentation.
- Produce and print all monthly billing statements
- Record and copy daily premium payments from multiple sources and prepare bank deposits
- Track outstanding premium and handle premium collection calls
- 5-7 years of related work experience in the health benefits sales, customer service or administration industry.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience with billing & enrollment, , customer service, issue resolution, or benefits sales.
- Ability to communicate exceptionally at both the detail level in “problem solving mode” but also articulate issues, concepts and alternatives to a broader, senior team in a credible manner.
- Detail oriented, organized, and ability to prioritize effectively is key.
- Reasonable comfort in analyzing, repackaging and summarizing member data via typical MS Office Tools is necessary.
- Comfort in preparing basic to moderate spreadsheet data in a manner generally consistent with reporting found in the health care or financial services industry.
- Ability to understand workflow processes.
- Licensed insurance agent, preferred but not required.
- Experience supporting live chat preferred but not required.
Online Chat Representative
Freelancers Union, the nation’s leading voice and advocate representing the needs and concerns of today’s independent workforce is seeking Online Chat Representatives. The ideal candidate is a licensed health insurance agent with solid customer service and writing experience, able to accurately represent Freelancers Union and its partners in a warm and professional manner to its members. Full-time, part-time and remote opportunities currently available.
Freelancers Union is known for our innovative products, services and technologies to connect the nation’s 54 million independent workers—and the people who work to make it all happen. We’re a national membership organization that promotes the interests of independent workers through advocacy, information, and service. We’re a collaborative, friendly, open-minded, adaptable, and action-oriented group, and we’re looking for people who share those qualities. We work in a fast-paced and fun environment, and are constantly exploring interesting new ideas. Every. Single. Day.
- Positively engage freelancers during the health insurance open enrollment shopping experience through online chat.
- Answer, investigate and/or initiate actions on customer inquiries, requests or complaints on health products and services efficiently on live chat platform. Follow-up as required to ensure customer satisfaction
- Help membere by identifying and discussing opportunities for additional products and/or services
- Continually updating personal knowledge of changes to company products/services, technology, regulations and policies and procedures
- Learning, understanding and applying all health enrollment policies and procedures
- Develop leads, schedule appointments, identify customer needs, and market appropriate products and services.
- Develop and maintain expert understanding of eligibility rules, application processes, enrollment procedures, and details of all member benefits (including insurance products, discount offerings, and more)
- Track all communications and interaction with members in the membership database
- Troubleshoot and resolve member issues
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally in a written format
- Proven track record of in generating sales, meeting goals and quotas, presentations and outstanding customer service
- Pro-active and collaborative approach to improving the customer experience
- Strong attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and a creative approach to problem solving
- High level of comfort, patience and sensitivity during interactions with people
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite with some knowledge of databases
- Demonstrated positive and energetic attitude
- Licensed Life, Health and Accident Agent
- College degree preferred
Freelancers Union believes all workers should have the freedom to build meaningful, connected and independent lives – backed by a system of mutual and public support. We are a diverse team, people have various backgrounds and experiences that have come together to work for a mission that affects us all. We are motivated, we are collaborative but mostly of all – we care! If you feel this is finally the time and the opportunity to join a team that is screaming at the top of their lungs bringing freelancers together to build smarter solutions to health care, wage security and other broken systems then email us today
Founded by Sara Horowitz, we are a group of practical revolutionaries who look for innovative ways to bring together and support the country's 53 million independent workers.
To apply: Please email a resume, portfolio or links to work samples, and a thoughtful cover letter with brief salary history to email@example.com.
Our offices are located in Downtown Brooklyn right by the A, C, F, 4, 5, R, and N subway lines on the Jay Street MetroTech stop. For more information, please visit our website at www.freelancersunion.org.
Freelancers Union offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Freelancers Union is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff Accountant – Full Time
Freelancers Union is not your typical non-profit, and we look for not-your-typical employees. We’re a national membership organization that promotes the interests of independent workers through advocacy, education, and services. We’re collaborative, friendly, open-minded, adaptable, creative, and action-oriented, and we’re looking for people who share those qualities. We work in a fast-paced and fun environment, and we’re constantly exploring interesting new ideas.
We are seeking a talented Staff Accountant to become part of our Accounting team. The Staff Accountant will be working with multiple legal entities, both non-profit and for-profit,.
What you’d be doing:
Preparing consolidated financial statements – including:
- intercompany activity and reconciliation,
- preparation of eliminating entries,
- prepare monthly bank reconcilations,
- maintain accounts payable and monthly reconciliation.
Assist with audit preparation under the direction of Controller Ad hoc reporting and projects as requested by the Controller and Director of Finance
Experience and skills you’d need to have:
- 1 – 4 years accounting experience
- Experience with Sungard general ledger and Crystal reports is a plus.
- Report building and maintenance preferred
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite experience (Excel, Word, Access)
- Demonstrated ability to think independently and take ownership of duties
- Exposure to Insurance Accounting (Statutory) is a plus.
More about us:
Independent workers comprise 30% of the U.S. workforce—and growing—but lack many of the basic supports and protections that traditional employees get. We aim to change that for our 150,000 members, and for the 42 million independent workers nationwide. Oh, and we’re also the people behind all those ads with the beehive that you see on the New York City subways.
Like we said, we’re not typical. We think of ourselves as “practical revolutionaries”—people who have extraordinary vision and want to make significant change, but can also put big, lofty ideas into tangible action. We believe strongly in solidarity, both for our staff and for the freelance community. For more information about us and what we do, please visit www.freelancersunion.org.
Our office is in Downtown Brooklynon the A, C, F, 2, 3, 4, 5 subway lines.
If you’re interested in joining our team of entrepreneurial pioneers, please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sorry, but we won’t consider resumes that don’t include both a cover letter and salary requirements.
We look forward to hearing from you!