Who we are
Freelancers Union, a national non-profit organization, represents the needs and concerns of today's independent workforce through advocacy, information, and service. We offer health, life, disability, and dental insurance, as well as discounts and other resources, to freelancers, consultants, temps, part-timers, and the self-employed. We're passionate about our mission to improve working life for independent workers – a community representing 30% of the U.S. workforce – and we're the people behind all those insurance ads with the beehive that you see on the subway.
We offer an excellent benefits plan that includes health coverage, dental insurance, a 401k retirement plan, and TransitChecks. Our offices are located in Downtown Brooklyn right by the A, C, F, 4, 5, R, and N subway lines on the Jay Street MetroTech stop.
Beyond our mission, we're also passionate about and proud of the culture and work environment we've created. We believe everyone has an important contribution to make toward achieving our goals, both through collaborative teamwork and independent initiative. The atmosphere here is loose, fun, and friendly.
Member Organizer (freelance)
Freelancers Union is a national nonprofit representing 350,000 independent workers - from graphic designers, yoga teachers, and journalists to CPAs, and dog walkers. We support our members with advocacy, education, and access to health insurance and other needed benefits.
We're looking for a Member Organizer to grow member engagement and oversee key member-led programs, helping freelancers lead meaningful, independent lives.
- Work 30 hrs/week as Member Organizer; must be in New York City area and able to attend meetings at our offices in Brooklyn and around NYC as needed
- Oversee the growth and development of Spark, a network of local freelance communities in over 20 cities across the U.S.
- Grow membership of Freelancers Guild, a network of independent professionals serving the freelance workforce, to meet strategic goals
- Develop systems and strategies fo engage Guild Members and Spark leaders aimed at building sustainable, self-organized member communities
- Foster a culture of collaboration and innovation across member leaders to meet shared goals, providing leadership development and coaching as needed
- Develop and implement systems for tracking member engagement and managing relationships with a large database of member leaders
- Analyze and iterate engagement strategies using key performance metrics, and makes recommendations to improve performance
- Work with the Communications team to organize campaigns and creative actions to grow membership and meet strategic goals
- Ensure that we’re engaging members around Freelancers Union’s core value: New Mutualism. We’re bringing together freelancers to build common solutions.
- 3-5 years of experience in organizing, political campaigns, leadership development, or other related field
- Personable and engaging, with the ability to develop meaningful relationships with others and motivate individuals and groups of individuals
- Excellent group facilitation and public speaking skills
- Analytical and effective program manager, with the ability synthesize disparate data sources and pivot as needed
- Knowledge of best practices for web, including digital and social media tools, and online communications
- Genuine commitment to empowering the freelance workforce
- Strongly prefer candidates with experience working at social purpose, labor, political, and/or mission-driven organization
- Experience in political organizing and fundraising strategy a plus
Please email your resume, cover letter, and relevant social media links to firstname.lastname@example.org